Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Paw Paw Mullins!

Today we went to the doctor again. Actually, we went to a new doctor. I changed pediatricians, and had an appointment to meet the new doctor today. She's wonderful! I just love her! She was very helpful, and answered all my questions. She told us to leave Garrett on the soy formula as long as he's doing fine. She said it might take a week for his system to get used to it. If after a week, he's still fussy all the time, she wants to test for reflux. I think he might have this, and it's what's causing all the tummy problems. I told her he was real fussy on the breast milk, and she said that he shouldn't have been that fussy just on that. So, we'll wait a week, and probably go back to see if that's the problem. If it is, then she can give him some medicine, and in her words, "He should be a totally different baby!" I feel much better about this doctor, and her advice...she actually gave me some!!!

Another confirmation that this was the right doctor for us, is that Michael works with her husband at Exxon. Anyway, she is about to go on maternity leave next week, so I wanted to get in and meet her before she leaves. She'll be back in January, so she'll only miss his 2 month check up. But she did tell me to call early next week if he's still having the tummy trouble, so she can do the procedure, make the diagnosis, and get him some medicine before she leaves. That made me feel like she really cared, and wanted to take care of Garrett, instead of passing him off to the nurse practitioner who will be taking her place while she's out. :)

Anyway...I have a funny "Mom Story" that happened today. While Dr. Sales was asking me questions about Garrett, and getting to know us, she asked if he ever spits up. He spits up a little at feeding time, but not much, so I told her no not really. Right after I told her he doesn't spit up, Garrett goes and makes a liar out of me! He spit up all down the front of my shirt, and it was that nasty soy formula he just ate an hour and half before the visit. It stunk so bad! That was a first for me! So far, when he's spit up, we've had the burp cloth under him, so it hadn't gotten on me yet...NOT TODAY!!! :) So, I just have to confirm that what everybody says is true..."It's different when it's your kid!" I went for another two hours with spit up down my shirt! I left the Dr.'s office, went and picked up something to eat, stopped by the pharmacy to pick up our prescriptions, and then finally went home to change shirts! If you would have told me 6 months ago that I would do that, I'd have laughed big time! But, spit up happens, and it looks like it'll be happening down my shirt A LOT! :)

That's about it for now...just wanted to share my "new mom" revelation! :)

No comments: