BUT...now we do! Michael & I took the childbirth class yesterday afternoon, and made it through the entire class without any major embarrassment! We even stayed for the practice breathing exercises at the very end, which we had planned to skip out on, because Michael said we already know how to breath! The class was not as bad as I thought it would be. The instructor was maybe a little older than us with three children of her own. She told us about each of her pregnancies and deliveries, and about how they were all different, but that she'd do it again IF she was guaranteed a girl! We actually talked to her on one of our breaks, and her husband is the missions pastor at Calvary Baptist in Beaumont. They are leaving in a week for a two week visit to Africa. She is going to see where she will be living in January....That's right. They are moving to the mission field in northern Africa! Anyway, she was very sweet, and made the class much more bearable than it could have been. I think even Michael enjoyed himself, although he'd never admit that.
For the most part I knew or had read about most of the information that was given in the class. It was more of a review for me, except for the videos of the actual births! Michael, on the other hand, had no idea how LONG the process of labor can actually take! Which is why I wanted him to go to the class in the first place!!!
The live birth videos were something else! Michael was not at all entertained while watching these, and I just prayed that he would act mature, and not bust out laughing being that we were on the front row! He did fine, actually. I was very proud of him. There were moments that he couldn't keep his "peanut gallery" comments to himself, and we had a small laugh between the two of us, but other than that, he did good. We saw three different live births. One without pain medicine, one with pain medicine, and a C-Section birth. For me, this was nothing. I've been watching the Discovery Health channel and have seen many births, so I knew what to expect. But Michael didn't, and it was pretty funny to watch him watch the range of emotions the couples went through during the process.
It was a pretty slow Sunday afternoon at the hospital, where the class was held. They had already had two c-sections, and then there was a vaginal delivery going on while we were there. As we were taking our tour of the delivery floor, the nursery & birthing rooms, we all heard this poor lady LABORING very loudly! You should have seen the eyes of all the guys taking the class with us! It was hilarious! They all got as big as saucers, and kinda panicked! It was priceless!!!
Michael and I both cut up during the breathing exercises. We didn't get much practice in due to the laughing at each other, so hopefully I'll have a good nurse to walk me through this part if needed during my labor! :)
I just have to say for the record that NONE of the videos or TV programs that I've watched of actual live births compared to Holly's delivery of Anna! She made it look way too easy! I don't even think Holly broke a sweat, which leads me to believe that I'll be in HARD ACTIVE labor for a very LONG time. So I'm already preparing myself for that...it can't be as easy as Holly made it seem! :)
All in all, the class was a good experience, and I'm glad that we went. Tuesday night I go to my breastfeeding class, so I'll let you know how that goes. Michael will not be attending that one with me! HA HA! I've tried to convince him that they're not going to tell us all to whip them out and practice, but he still refuses to go with me on account that he'll be working late that night! :)
Monday, September 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment