Monday, February 22, 2010

1st Trip to the ER...

Today everyone was scheduled to head back home. Mr. Phil and Mrs. Janice left early this morning heading back to TN. Mom and Dad, Holly and the kids were also supposed to leave this morning once they got up & moving. They were all loading up & getting ready to leave, and Garrett was still sleeping. I just let him sleep since he's been up so late the night before. I kept checking on him, and he was out! But I hated for them to leave with him still sleeping, so I went in to wake him up. Well, he was outta of it. I changed his diaper, although it wasn't barely wet at all..not good. Tried to give him some more pedialyte, but he wouldn't take any. He was just laying on me limp. So, I got dressed and brought him to minor care. I called Michael, and he met me there. Dad, Holly and the kids went ahead and left, but Mom stayed to keep Abbie Grace for me, while we were with Garrett. After waiting an hour at minor care, and finally getting called back, Garrett threw up again all the pedialyte and the few crackers we had just gotten him to take. The Dr. there confirmed dehydration, but they aren't allowed to give IV fluids at minor care, so she transferred us to the ER. Had I known this, I would've gone to the ER first! Anyway, they faxed his papers to the ER, and we brought him there. We waited probably 45 minutes or so before getting back to the treatment area. Finally saw the Dr. who prescribed the IV fluids, some blood work, and a stomach x-ray. All the tests came back fine, so she just assumed it was the rota virus that's going around. He got his IV in, they drew his blood, and then he got the IV fluids & a nausea medicine. He seemed to perk up & wanted more to drink and eat. He finished off another 12 oz or so of pedialyte and crackers. The Dr. came back, and said to keep him on the Brat diet for a few days, and to bring him back if he got worse again. Also to get a follow up with the pediatrician in the morning. After 4 hours at the ER, we were on our way back home. I wasn't happy about going home with him that way. I was hoping they'd keep and eye on him, but he ended up being fine.

No comments: